Blogging to foster productivity
well, it's not real appetizing to us 'non-entomologists' (!) but to Koko I'm sure it looks very tempting! You did keep him away from it though, didn't you:-) What is it? Some type of fungus/mushroom? It's very interesting to look at; almost reminds me of a 'peanut-shell shaped sponge"!!!! Am I crazy or what?!?!
LOL. I forget that if you're not born and raised in the country you might not know that this is a prized spring delicacy. Yes--it is a mushroom--very much edible--we found 100's of them today. Big yummy yellow ones. It is a morel about 5 in tall. Guess I will have to post a follow up blog about morels--where to find them, how to cook them.
Still early here. The lilacs have only just begun to bud up. (not a real guide but Morels usually are out about the same time as lilacs start to bloom) - but I'm looking now anyway :)
You must have the right time re the lilacs. Our lilacs are blooming. At least, most are. Mine are not. My house and garden is either in a cold drainage area, or we're too much exposed to the cold north winds. My perennial things just seem to be slow. Our woods are a little south of here--the trilliums, and phox, bloodroot--all those things are blooming there.
Oh, I love morels! I didn't realize it's time already. I've got to get out and try to find some! Hope you're enjoying yours. I like them best cleaned of bugs, dipped in milk, dusted with flour, and fried in lots and lots of butter! And the best part - I don't have to share. My husband does not like mushrooms at all. Silly fellow!
That must be the most disgusting looking mushroom I have ever seen! looks like a baby's bath sponge! Does it all shrivel up when you cook it? Do you have to close your eyes to eat it? Linzi x x