Friday, September 14, 2012

More about Stocking the Pantry


Every year I plant almost as many peppers as I do Tomatoes. Sigh
 
Experience has taught me not to get carried away with the hot ones.
 
A garden has to have banana peppers, so this year
 
I tried Sweet Savannah.  The seed catalog said they were sweet and they really are.
 
They are long and beautiful..and I seem to have no market for them.
 
Last year when I had lots of hotter ones...I was intrigued by a Hot Pepper Butter
 
recipe I saw in one of those community cookbooks.  But...typically I couldn't find it
 
this year.  So...on to the internet I came.  At Allrecipes.com I found a recipe...it is different than
 
the original I was looking at.  (I found that one today..AFTER I made this one) and typically me
 
I altered it a bit.  The result is yummy....yummmy...yummy.
 
Here is a picture.



And here is the recipe I used:

 
Mild Pepper Mustard
 
10 Sweet Savannah Banana Peppers plus half of one fresh ripe long red cayenne pepper
 
1 Cup Prepared French's yellow mustard
 
1/4 Cup Sorghum...you can use honey...I just had sorghum
 
11/4 cup white sugar
 
1 Cup apple cider vinegar
 
1/4 Tblsp. salt
 
1/4 cup flour
 
1/4 cup water
 
Directions:
1. Remove the seeds from the peppers and chop coarsely.  Put in a food processor or chopper and chop or blend until smooth. Pour into a large pot and stir in the mustard, sorghum, sugar, apple cider and salt.  Bring to a boil, so that it is boiling so hard you cannot stir it down.
 
2.  Stir together the flour and water until smooth. Pour into the boiling mixture..continue boiling and stirring constantly for five minutes.  Pour into steril 1/2 pint jars and seal with new lids and rings.  Process in a boiling water bath 5 to 10 minutes, depending on your altitude.
 
 
The result was a sweet, mildly warm just right pretzel dipping sauce.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment