Monday, April 20, 2009

Cherry Belle Radishes


You can't keep a good radish down. Two warmer days have made a difference outside. However I do not think these Cherry Belle radishes will be ready next week. The 22 day maturity time must be for warmer temperatures! My unmulched potatoes are up. I left some unmulched at one end so I could see when they came out of the soil. I will need to add more straw to the whole shebang. You can see rows of things in the garden. Peas, radishes, lettuce, beets, carrots, kohlrabi are popping up in the garden. I added a few more rows of peas this weekend. In a few days, I think I will start moving things around in the rows and adding into rows. I want to try some companion planting. My puzzle is how to make the whole thing more attractive and inviting. It is now just a big old-fashioned square farm garden. Hmm. I don't want to do anything very permanent, as we need to get the tractor in, and maybe we'll want to put the whole thing back to crops...but this is the third year and it is starting to shape up.
If any gardeners looking at this have suggestions on how to make a big square garden in a big farm field look like something that suggests something more than untilitarian gardening..please share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment