Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bleeding Heart

I couldn't resist another picture of this perennial plant.  I love it.  It is planted at the NE corner of my house, right beside the driveway.  It is doing very well there and provides beautiful early flowers.
  I keep thinking that I will provide more gardening knowledge in my blogs.  I do know a very little. I have a special article on this plant somewhere in my gardening tomes.   Seems easier to Google it!!
 This plant is the one most people recognize as Bleeding heart.  It's scientific name is Dicentra Spectabilis.  It's origin is China.  It flowers in early May, (late April at my house this year).  It seems easy to care for and I have not had any problems with it.  I've had it a few years, and it doesn't seem to be taking over, but it is probably time to think about propagating it.  I'm not sure, but I suspect that one would divide it? in late summer?

7 comments:

  1. Hi MLC! Beautiful plant! I was lucky to see it growing wild in the forests of the Russian Far East that is very close to China. We call it Broken Heart.
    I never propagated my plant that is about 3 years old, but I read that they are propagated from seeds, division of the roots and from young shoots starting from the soil in early spring. The shoots and roots are divided just before they start growth. There are number of sources on the Internet. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Bleeding Heart. I am dying to get some planted here in Florida - I am such a sucker for flowers but my practical side always takes over and prevents me from going hog wild. That, and the fact that my husband cannot keep his hands off the garden shears. I swear, I already told him he was not allowed to cut anything that flowered. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Bleeding Heart - it is very full of blooms. My mother had a little wilderness garden beside our old farmhouse growing up. I called it the Royal Garden. It had Bleeding Hearts, Columbine with Red and Gold blooms,(I called them King's Crowns), and Lily of the Valley. I so want to recreate that garden at my house. Thanks for visiting my site today - you asked about family heirloom plants. I have a pussywillow that has traveled throughout my friends and neighbors which I took a start of and planted at my childhood home, Mom took it with her when she moved to Grandpa's house and she just gave me a bouquet this spring to plant at my farm. She gave me some of her yellow yarrow and some Columbine (blue).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very nice to travel down memory lane every time you look at a well-loved plant. I hope your willow grows well. The columbines too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MLC- I have to admit Bleeding Heart is one of my favorites. Hard to believe it is as sturdy a plant as it is. It always looks so delicate. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those dogs look like they're having fun. Oops, looks like I'm commenting on Bleeding Heart. Also a favorite of mine, and only now beginning to colonize in my California garden, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. I'm amending the dividing part. I just read somewhere that there is normally no need to divide them, and that you shouldn't do it. I guess I really need to go online and check out Tatyana's sources.

    ReplyDelete