Sunday, May 19, 2013

Food from the garden..is it food from the gods?

 
Bok Choy Chicken Soup
 
Leaf lettuce, green onions, and Bok Choy.
 
What more can you ask?
 
I love it when I can go out and whisk something good out of the garden
and make something satisfying and delicious with no fuss, no muss,
and simply using ingredients from the pantry.
 
I discovered this soup online last year...sorry...I don't remember where I found it.
 
The basic recipe is:
 
3 cups chicken broth
10 leaves Bok Choy, thinly sliced
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 garlic glove.
 
Simply bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, add seasoning as above or to taste
and follow up with bok choy.  Simmer for 10 minutes or until bok choy is tender.
I usually use a little less sesame oil, and a little more garlic.
Variations I have tried and like include adding one or more of the following:
1 fresh carrot...peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 or 4 fresh mushrooms...sliced.
fresh chopped fresh or frozen sweet red, green, or yellow pepper
fresh sweep peas
fresh snap peas.
 
This is great as an appetizer, or as a light soup to go with a sandwich or chef salad for lunch or supper.
 
Mmmm good garden goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment